Jun 1, 2010

Baragatan Festival

The province of Palawan is set to celebrate the yearly Baragatan Festival this June. I don’t have the program for this year’s celebration yet, but as far as I know, same events as the previous ones would highlight 2010’s festivity.

Baragatan Festival is the celebration of the founding anniversary of Palawan’s civil government.

Baragatan is a Cuyunon word meaning ‘to meet’. During this celebration, Palaweños all over Palawan’s 23 municipalities gather in its capital Puerto Princesa City.

I personally have fond memories of the Baragatan. I remember that when we were in high school, me and my classmates (actually, I think, the whole school) would skip our classes just to watch the street dancing competition or the float parade.

It was also during Baragatan where I first saw actress Katrina Halili. She then joined the search for Mutya ng Palawan and represented her town El Nido. Well, she was our bet for the pageant but she did not end up winning the title. She however got a minor award. Next thing we know, she was already a finalist in a reality talent search at GMA 7 and had managed to get a career of her own.

When I was already in my first year in college, I also remember having to make siksik with the big crowd in the street to watch the street dancers. I was with my classmates who used to join the Taytay group for street dancing and, needless to say, they want to see how their group was doing without them. LOL!

Of course, there are these stalls at the Capitol Grounds which sell various stuffs. You would normally see people roaming around the place either looking for something to buy or just merely looking around.

Last year, me and my friends each bought a cellphone accessory worth P10. We considered that a good find, though.

All municipalities also have booths of their own showcasing the uniqueness of their place. And to inspire them more, the provincial government also made it a competition where the most outstanding LGU booths would win prizes.

Also, employees of the provincial government give a special number during the celebration. And it is during this once-a-year event would we see the province officials dancing in the streets. Yes, the governor, vice-governor and board members had to show off their dancing skills as part of the festival.

I remember a lot of things with Baragatan. However, it would be unfair to you, readers, if I make a long list of them here.

Anyways, the soft opening of the festival would be later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment