Jul 8, 2010

VG Reyes seeks consensus on decisions

The newly-installed vice-governor, Clara “Fems” E. Reyes, stressed that she would like to be a “consensus builder” in the Provincial Board.

Reyes, wife of outgoing Gov. Joel Reyes, took oath as Palawan vice-governor on June 30 and would sit as the presiding officer of the 40th Sangguniang Panlalawigan.

 “I think I have to reach out to the board members,” she said in a press conference.

The incoming Provincial Board would be composed of five board members from the administration and another five from the opposition.

“Before we go to the session hall, I will talk to them one by one. I am a democratic person and we would like to have unity. We are all thinking of the welfare of the Palaweños,” Reyes explained.

In her inaugural speech, she said that “political reconciliation is the first step to moving toward a common goal.”

Asked if she felt any pressure replacing former Vice-Gov. David Ponce de Leon, Reyes answered that although a first-time politician, “Palaweños’ problems are not new to me.”

“I am married to Joel who has been in public service for 22 years. Hindi ninyo lang ako nakikitang humaharap but I have always supported him,” she stressed.

“I have a big shoe to fill and I believe I can also do well. It’s time to build our province and there’s so much work to do that we should focus on,” she told the local media.

Incoming board members, on the other hand, also expect a harmonious relationship between them in their three-year stay at the highest policy-making body in the province.

“Political affiliations should be set aside inside the session hall,” Board Member Rolando Bonoan Jr said. He added that the welfare of the Palaweños should be their priority.

Asked about their stand on mining which had always been a big issue in the Provincial Board, Reyes said that they would just obey the law.

The previous Board was the one who adopted the 25-year moratorium on small-scale mining operations in Palawan. However, during the last regular sessions, the Board was questioned and criticized for approving the large-scale mining application of one company despite alleged irregularities on the approval of its municipal endorsement.

“I took oath and I have to follow the rules of the land. We have this mining law and I have to follow whatever is under the law,” Reyes stated.

Board Member Winston Arzaga, on the other hand, said that he would go with Gov. Abraham Mitra’s stand on mining.

“I intend to support the stand of the governor. I respect the 25-year mining moratorium,” Arzaga pointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment